What will I learn in the Cultural Orientation before I travel to the U.S.?
Some background about this question:
- Most refugees receive 16-21 hours of cultural orientation. In a few cases (such as in Iraq), refugees receive an abbreviated session of 6-7 hours.
- Overseas Cultural Orientation covers 11 topics:
- Pre-Departure Processing (processing, travel, and resettlement)
- Role of the Resettlement Agency
- Money Management
- Rights and Responsibilities
- Cultural Adjustment
- For more information on Cultural Orientation, check the Cultural Orientation Resource Center and its Welcome to America Guide (which is available in Arabic).