Can I transfer from a community college to a four-year institution?

Some background about this question:

  • Community colleges and four-year institutions have contracts that specify which courses transfer automatically from one institution to the other and, therefore, can be counted toward the four-year degree. Public community colleges work closely with the public universities in their state to develop transfer guidelines.
  • The transfer of credits involving a private or out-of-state institution may not be as well defined. If your goal is to earn a bachelor’s degree B.A.), then as early as possible you should, (i) declare your intent to pursue a transfer Associate Degree, (ii) talk with the academic/transfer counselor at your community college to identify a major, (iii) choose a four-year institution and research its transfer policy and its programs of study.
  • One reason for planning carefully is that schools do not have the same course requirements for identical degrees. By targeting the four-year institution you want to go to and determining what is needed to transfer and then following a carefully designed program, you can avoid unnecessary work and expense.  Some institutions have worked together to establish “dual admissions” policies whereby students are admitted to both the two-year and the four-year schools at the same time. Immediately after completing an Associate Degree, the student may transfer into the bachelor’s program at the cooperating university.

Do you have something to add to this answer?

Double click to edit

Thanks very much for leaving a comment on Refugee Roadmap. We greatly appreciate your participation.
All the best,
The Refugee Roadmap team